Slightly later than scheduled, but we now have our 2013 writing competition winners!
• Grace Webster: The Elephant’s Ears, for its humour and originality.
• Tom Dickenson: Bob’s Secret Hideaway, for its use of language and artwork opportunities.
• Annie Donald: Who is Hiding?, for its simplicity and poetic style.
• Bella Fowlie: Shh..., for its humour and originality.
• Henda Assis: Henda and the Hand Dryer for its honesty and originality.
Many thanks to all the schools that entered this year, we were blown away by the calibre of writing and it was a really tough decision. Keep your eyes peeled for Grace and Tom's books, which will be published in January 2014!
Judge Berlie Doherty had this to say: "The Big Cat Writing Competition always attracts exciting entries, and 2013 was no exception. The stories and poems that were sent in were full of variety, fun, good writing and excellent ideas. I was very impressed with entries from Annie Donald, Bella Fowlie and Henda Assis enjoyed reading them. Well done!
The winning entries however, from Grace Webster and Tom Dickenson were outstanding. Grace’s story, The Elephant’s Ears, about an elephant who was frightened to go to the hairdresser’s, is original and very funny, and will be a great joy to the illustrator, and Tom’s lovely poem Bob’s Secret Hideaway has a lovely sense of atmosphere and thoughtfulness about the importance of friends. I can’t wait to see the books when they are in print!"